Friday, June 3, 2011

Summer is Repeat Season

This week we repeated the first recipe we got from the WW site, the chicken, mushroom and brown rice meal, of which I did not post a full recipe. So I thought I would do that this week and then ask you for some feedback.

Chicken, Mushroom and Brown Rice Slow Cooker Dinner

8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, approx. 2.5 ounces each
2 cups canned chicken broth, reduced sodium
½ pound cremini mushrooms, sliced
1 cup leeks, white and pale green parts only, sliced and rinsed thoroughly for grit
1 cup carrots, sliced thinly
1 cup celery, sliced thinly
¾ cup uncooked brown rice, medium grain (such as brown Arborio)
2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 tsp dried sage
1 tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper, freshly ground

Coat a large, non-stick skillet with cooking spray. Brown chicken thighs, turning once. Set aside.
Combine remaining ingredients in a 5-6 quart slow cooker. Nestle the chicken thighs on the vegetable mixture. Cover and cook on low for 7 hours. Yields one chicken thigh and approximately 2/3 cup vegetable/rice mixture per serving.


Now that you’ve seen the recipe, let’s get to the modifications.

You probably already know by now that I didn’t brown the thighs. I know it will add flavor. But I don’t want to #1, dirty another pan, and #2, risk the chicken being more overcooked than it already will be because I have to let it cook for 10 hours instead of seven.

That said, after the first time we tried it, N and I both thought it could use a little more flavor. So this time I added an extra tsp of Worcestershire and an extra tsp of Dijon mustard.

Both times I cooked the rice separately in the rice cooker. Since the disaster of the Cuban black beans and rice, I haven’t quite been willing to cook rice in the crock pot again. But as soon as I find some brown Arborio, I will try it. I’m very curious to see how it will turn out.

Adding the rice for about the last 15 minutes before serving gave it a chance to soak up the yummy juices in the pot, but I put in too much broth this time, so it ended up a little soupy. The first time we made it, it actually had a risotto-like consistency which was very satisfying. N and I both LOVE risotto, but it is both time- and calorie-prohibitive. So this was a nice surprise. Next time, less broth.

It was as tasty as we remembered; perhaps a bit more so because of the extra seasonings. But it still needs something. Which is where you come in.

I would love to know what you would add or change to make it more flavorful. I think it needs acid. The flavors are rich and hearty, but it needs some brightness for balance. Lemon? Vinegar? Maybe a little balsamic drizzled over the top at serving? Or a little heat?

Tonight I sprinkled on some of Cajun seasoning that I bought last fall in Portland and amped the flavor up quite nicely. I also thought of the spice rub we got at Central Market last week with its smoked paprika and brown sugar. That might be interesting, too.

So, what do you think? What would you do differently? What would you add or subtract to make it more interesting? Comment here or on Facebook and let me know!

Because there’s no reason why a repeat has to be boring!

Have a great week and I’ll see you back here next Friday!!

2 comments:

Maia Strong said...

Just looking at the recipe, I think you're right about the acid element being missing. I find WW recipes to be underseasoned as a rule, so adding more Worcestershire and dijon sounds like it was a good plan. Maybe some red wine would be in order in place of some of the broth? And a drizzle of balsamic, like you mentioned, is never a bad thing. :)

Where does one find brown Arborio? I've been keeping my eyes peeled but haven't spotted any.

Have I sent you the Mediterranean Chick and Wild Rice slow-cooker recipe? It's *excellent*!

JennyB said...

As for the brown arborio, I swear I have seen it before, but now that I am looking I can't find it. Of course, right?

And you have not sent me the Mediterranean Chick Pea and Wild Rice slow-cooker recipe. I would love to try it if you send it over! :o)