Sunday, June 15, 2008

Truffle Night at Fiamma Trattoria and Bar

I've been lax in getting our last night in Vegas posted here. My apologies!

Our final dinner in Vegas was a bit of a surprise. We couldn't decide where to eat. We knew we didn't want to leave the MGM, where we were staying. We just wanted to relax, drops some money in the slot machines, and enjoy the little city that is MGM.

We thought we'd try Emeril's...I've been to his restaurant in New Orleans, which remains on my top ten list of restaurant experiences. But we couldn't get in until 9pm, which was too late for us. Putting the promise of eating at the bar in our back pocket as a fallback, we looked at the other choices:
Shibuya - sushi, which sounded fabulous, but we weren't really in the mood for seafood in a landlocked place.
Seablue - seafood, meditteranean - again, didn't want seafood. We come from the Pacific Northwest. Las Vegas is too far away from the ocean for us to want to eat seafood there. :o)

Several times we walked by Fiamma Trattoria & Bar, thinking, huh...Italian...okay, but how special could it be? Well, we looked at the menu and found several things that sounded tasty. We were lucky enough to get reservations at 6:30...a perfect time for us.

First on the menu for us was an order of beef carpaccio with a salad of chopped mushrooms and black truffle vinegar and shavings of parmegiano reggiano. The beef was so thinly sliced and tender that we couldn't pick the slices up. It was creamy, tangy, salty and earthy. Delicious!

For our entree we decided to have the Fusilli with prosciutto, English peas, and black truffle butter sauce. The flavors were fairly delicate, smoky prosciutto, sweet peas and earthy, luscious truffle butter.
Accompanying our dinner, we drank an effevescent white wine called Conundrum. Aptly named. We puzzled and puzzled till our puzzlers were puzzed. I wanted a red wine. My palate was ready for a dry, tannic, Italian red. But nothing on the by-the-glass list really hit us. So we went with the waiter's recommendation. Then we realized we'd had it before! So we're going to try and find it again here at home.
Nicely fruity, with some hints of pear and a clear finish, it cut through the fat of the butter sauce and highlighted the individual flavors of the pasta dish beautifully.

So it ended up being truffle night at Fiamma for us. And we left satisfied and very pleased with our choice.

Our trip really woke my palate up. I wanted to cook when I got home! Just like a trip to see theatre in New York makes me want to be a better actor and fires my desire to perform, this trip to Las Vegas made me want to be a better cook and baker.

And speaking of being a baker, up next will be a writeup of the cake I made for my friend Maia Strong's book release party.
Thanks for all the comments, y'all!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

YUM!!!!!

Maia Strong said...

I do love having friends who appreciate food as much as I do and who can write about it so deliciously!

Unknown said...

Sounds like Vegas was a gustatory home run for you two!